Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Why Mariposa?

Mariposa=Butterfly
My sons were born at an extremely rough time in my life. Maybe someday I will find the time to write about it. But because of the events surrounding, I was unable to give them the things I dreamed about, to create a spectacular and beautiful nursery filled with anything they could possibly want or need.
When I discovered I was having a girl this last pregnancy, I really wanted to do more for her than I had been able to do for my boys. My husband and I painted her room a soft purple, with accents of dusty rose. We put up a wallpaper border of cheerful, smiling butterflies...whimsical and soft. The purple butterfly curtain made by my husband's grandmother is supported by a rod w/ butterfly ends. Her bedding is butterflies as are many of her clothes. I'm drawn to this flying insect in a way I cannot describe.
Of course butterflies are pretty. I love the bright colors, the softness and gentleness they portray. The way they flit softly from place to place. Children are enraptured with them. When my boys play outside in the summer and see one float past, there are squeals of joy and laughter, "Look Mom, look! A butterfly!" Artists depict them as happy, cheerful, peaceful. Their colors are gay and bright, bold even. What's not to love about this creature?
I think this theme took hold of me because of the differences in my life now. 5 years ago I was expecting with my first child. It would be months before my first anniversary, and we had finally found an apartment to live in. What a relief to be out of our parents' houses. We had little money, little freedom to decorate, and not many close friends.
Fast forward to this last pregnancy. We live in a house we rent from my parents, my husband has a better job, we have accumulated furniture and possessions and have more confidence in ourselves and our abilities. Our lives are completely different.
I feel like I have gone through my own metamorphosis these last 4+ years as a mom. I am stronger. I like myself more. I am not always afraid to speak up for myself. I hardly recognize the person I see in pictures from that time.
I intend to write about things I have learned along the way through this metamorphosis. Share about the highs and lows, the struggles and triumphs. Laughter and tears. Quotes I have recorded along the way. Excerpts from journals I have recorded for my kids.
This is my journey.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogland! I'm excited to read your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Kei! I love how we can get to know eachother in a deeper level through these posts. Welcome to the blog club :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely relate with your transformation from your first child to your 3rd child - - I was in a similar situation. You put it into beautiful words. Welcome to blogging. Welcome to being Real. I often feel like I am reading someone's diary and it is a little weird, but a sigh of relief at the same time to know we all have struggles and triumphs! I look forward to following you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I'm glad to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a great writer. I subscribed in to your blog in my reader. Not sure if you've seen it, but I have a family related blog too. (the link is on my facebook profile)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment...let me know what you think!