Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Prodigal Child?

"Never despair of a child. The one you weep the most for at the mercy seat may fill your heart with the sweetest joys."

Something happened today that made this quote pop out at me. Now, I am not at a point in my life where I am despairing of a child, or weeping over him. But I do worry some times when one of my boys has trouble achieving or welcoming a new situation.
Today was the first day of swimming lessons for the boys. DS1 was super excited, wanting to go to the store to buy goggles and just dive in and go for it. DS2 on the other hand wanted nothing to do with it and cried as I was changing him into his swimming trunks. He calmed down enough to walk to the pool area, but the whole time kept telling me "I don't want to swim. I don't want to."
But he let me put on the floaty belt, and lead him to the steps. From there the instructor took charge and kept a hand on him. She was wonderful with him and let him ride piggyback the entire time, while encouraging him to kick and participate at the same time.
He even sat on the edge and "jumped" in. I was amazed.
Now, I was super proud of DS1 for doing a wonderful job, and it was fun watching him play in the water. But I had such a proud heart and such joy from watching DS2 do something he originally didn't want to do. I am so proud of him for trying it (even though I had to bribe him to get the belt on!), and even more proud of him that he didn't cry or throw a fit once he was in the water. What an amazing feeling!

I can only imagine how a parent of a wayward child must feel. To see their child wandering away from truth and love and peace to a life of pain and anger and distrust. But what incredible joy they have when that wayward child returns to the right path. When they learn how to love and accept forgiveness. I'm sure the parents hearts fill with unspeakable pride to the point of bursting.
And how much joy God must feel when one of his children returns. Really made me picture the prodigal son story.
I have to admit, I've always related more with the "other brother". You know, the one who didn't run away and waste his inheritance. The good one. The one who followed the rules and was there for his father. Yeah, that would be me. But now as a parent I understand the father more. How could you possibly reject a child you had almost lost hope for? How could you not be glad that your son had returned, a bit wiser and understanding?


"How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure"

2 comments:

  1. Kei, take your comments about Tommy swimming--he had to overcome his fear/reluctance to swim just as you need to face your fears and challenges that you addressed in another posting.

    Your blog makes me very proud. I have raised a daughter who is incredibly beautiful, both inside and out. One who is smart and caring, compassionate and a fabulous mother and wife. Again, I am so very proud of you.

    I have so many comments to make on many of your blogs...

    I love you!
    mom

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment...let me know what you think!