Thursday, August 4, 2011

Getting the Hang of It?

My last blog detailed what curriculum we will be using for this, our first, year of homeschooling. I am SO excited about everything, and in true mom fashion, I believe that we may even breeze through some of it so quickly that I'll be ordering next year's things before this "school" year is out. We'll see.

I was unsure which math curriculum to use. I thought I had found the one, but as I looked at the sample pages more, I realized it just was too "text-bookish" for us. My boys like workbook pages, activities, movement and fun. Not sitting and listening to explanations that even Mom doesn't understand.
So, through other homeschooling mom's blogs linked up at the Not Back to School Blog Hop, I found many great ideas we could use. And our Math curriculum, Mathematical Reasoning.

I have been reading through the All About Spelling teacher's text. It's one of 2 subjects that we have received already, and I'm liking it more and more. At first I wasn't sure about it...seemed hard to understand. But each lesson ties together, with much review and slow progression. I believe this will help the kids retain what they are learning SO much more. And it uses different modes of learning to really engage and create learning pathways... speaking the sounds/words/phonograms; seeing them in print; and using motion and writing to tie it all together.

I am really happy that the rest of our curriculum should arrive within the week. My goal is to read through each one, map out general goals, and be ready to start school around the first of September. Chris has his vacation that first week, though, so we're not sure if we'll take the opportunity and try to get away for a small family vacation, or get a head start on school while Daddy is home to help out. We'll see.

Thanks for reading. And to my new followers, WELCOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment...let me know what you think!