Saturday, June 18, 2011

Counting

What is going on in my life? Well, lets see...
*I'm stressing about the house situation from every possible angle
*My weight is up and I'm pretending I don't care
*I'm always tired even when I miraculously get 8 hours of sleep
*Headaches and backaches have become my companions
*I am really needing a break from the day to day care of little children.

Sounds great huh? I'm struggling with not complaining, because I do know that many people, actually the majority of people in the world, have things a lot worse than me. I have a pretty good life according to the standards of someone in, say, Africa. Or remote corners of the jungle.
But ya' know.... when I'm in a mood, I don't really care about that perspective.

But in the midst of my unsettledness and discombobulation I still have been attempting to make improvements.

I have discovered that I enjoy the time I have alone when I get up before my kids. Although it does mean waking up to an alarm (most alarming!) and missing out on some much needed sleep. The quiet, uninterrupted, peaceful space where I can enjoy my morning cup of coffee and a new magazine, or catch up on the news on facebook, is very enjoyable.

Even though I find it difficult to go for long, exhilarating, sweat-inducing walks with 3 children, we have been enjoying taking family walks together. All 5 of us. They are not long, very rarely cause me to break a sweat, and are exhilarating in the sense that I am outside and with my family.

We have been doing minor "home improvement" projects lately. We organized and cleaned the best we could with our limited situation the shop behind our house. For reasons mostly beyond our control it quite easily becomes a mess and is not a pleasant place to be most of the time. But we made some rather large pathways and did a bit of organizing.

Also, I have been growing an avocado tree. Well, 2 now actually. And it doesn't really count as a home improvement, but it is somehow enjoyable and gives me a tangible source of pride. The first one is pushing 3 feet tall and has enough leaves it's hard to keep track and count them. The pic at right is from over a month ago. It now has a newer set of leaves on top and the trunk is taller. The newest addition is a few inches tall, has 5 little leaves and is newly planted in it's own large pot. I love it!

I suppose I should end with a counting of blessings due to the complaining at the beginning.
*I do love my 3 children who sometimes get on my nerves. I may be the only mom whose kids do it, but I'll readily admit there are times I can't stand them. But I do love them and would never even wish to imagine life without them.
*I truly am thankful we are living in a house. Yes, it is a most basic need, that of shelter. This may not be the biggest, newest, nicest house out there (in fact FAR from it), but it has everything we need. AND it's not an apartment. And it's not a hut in the middle of nowhere with no running water or electricity. Perspective.
*Even though I have had back and head aches the last week or so, I thank God that generally I can ease the pain with OTC pain meds. A couple dear friends of mine suffer from chronic pain that won't be eased, and all I have to do is think of them when I begin to complain too much. Again, perspective.

I pray your day is blessed, cheery, and full of surprises. May God open your (as well as my own) eyes to the beauty surrounding you. The blessings in the midst of trials. The joy awaiting you as you choose to trust His way.


When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment...let me know what you think!