Monday, July 12, 2010

Challenge and Passion

Life without challenge and passion is far more destructive than physical danger.

I was reading this article tonight in Reader's Digest about this lady fisherman. And when I came to this quote (above), I paused to consider the full meaning of it.
My first reaction was to ignore it and pretend I hadn't seen it. My second was to focus on the first part and not the last. Let me tell you why.
For some reason unknown to me, I am terrified of pain. I suppose that's a pretty normal thing to be afraid of, but it affects me in numerous ways. I am afraid of falling...like simple tripping on the sidewalk kind of falling. Afraid of heights also stems from it. Even climbing a ladder or mid-size stool will have me rattled. I get really freaked out when we have a close encounter while driving. And I even "protect" myself from emotional pain by distancing myself and moving on pretty easily. For instance, when a good friend moves away, generally I'm more likely to just get on with life than make a great effort to write and call. I know it sounds rude and mean and callus, but it's kind of a defense mechanism my mind has invented over time for different reasons.

So, all that to say...I don't like physical danger. I play it safe. And that is why this quote stuck out to me and I couldn't shake it. Something could be worse than being destroyed by physical danger? Yeah right!
But then I take a look at myself. Do I have those first two things in my life right now? Challenge. Passion. Am I really stretching myself and doing something I absolutely cannot live without? Am I living out my dreams? Am I living life to it's fullest?
My first thought is: of course. I have a husband. I have three beautiful children. I live in a decent house with room outside for the kids to play. I have family nearby. I live a very safe life.
Where is the challenge? Well, sure I am raising my boys to be (hopefully) strong, christian men, full of integrity and strong in their morals and convictions. Sure I am struggling to keep the household running and functioning with minimal infractions and uproar. But beyond the average, everyday things that every other parent deals with, what am I striving for?

I really don't have any answers, and to be honest, I'm slightly uncomfortable with the thought that I may have to stretch beyond my safe zone. Maybe someone else out there is struggling with something similar. Maybe it's you. Are you living life to it's fullest? Are you being challenged, or fulfilling your passions? If you are I commend you. That is a brave thing to do. But if you find yourself questioning the same as me, all I can say is, I understand.

Let me leave you with something else the author of the RD article said:
"When you are fully engaged, life is richer. To be consumed by doing what you love is the ultimate reward. Yes, it's risky. But it's worth it. Simply put, life is better out on a limb."

2 comments:

  1. Well, it sounds like my little girl is growing up even more. I'm finding as I grow older some of the feelings you describe actually grow stronger. I feel the need to face some of those fears more and more the older I get. Maybe it's in preparation of the ultimate journey of death? I don't know. I just know it's important to face the fear and then look back and say, "that wasn't so bad," or "gee, that was fun," or "I DID IT!"
    Each time I conquer one, the next one is a little less intimidating.

    I love your writing style. It's fun to "listen" to you... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, it's hard to imagine anything being more challenging or requiring more passion than parenting! I sometimes laugh at myself that I flaked out of going to grad school, but then I decided to become a mom. Ha! It's the biggest, hardest thing I have ever done or will ever do. I have my own limiting factors, so for now I won't be "pursuing my dreams" the way I see them, but there will be plenty of time for that later. Maybe by then I will miss this grueling life, but I think God has much more for me to learn in this hard place than I would encounter without the dear boy.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment...let me know what you think!