Sunday, June 6, 2010

My Son

I wrote this poem after a friend of mine got married. It is referencing to her husband's mother. I was inspired, as you'll see, by what transpired at the wedding reception.


MY SON

I watched you dance with your son,

My eyes welled up with tears.

I felt like sobbing watching you there-

Letting go, saying goodbye.

One hand held his face

Reminiscent of times spent

Wiping away tears, kissing owies,

Dispelling fears.

Your other hand held him close

Whispering of snuggles,

Hugs full of warmth,

When only your arms could satisfy.

Your face rested on him

Remembering times he’d fall asleep on your shoulder.

You’d lay your head against his

And pray it wouldn’t end.

Tears washed unashamedly down your cheeks,

Spilling over with love of many years.

This one, this precious child;

Your pride and joy.

How many times you’ve wept with him.

Middle of the night feedings;

You didn’t know what was wrong.

Falls on the way to walking.

You had cried together when hurt.

Friends let you down.

Together you’ve weathered all life has,

This one you danced with.

I could feel your heart ache

As the minutes dragged on.

You’re losing your little boy,

This one you gave life to.

He’s been your sweetheart, your love,

Your little snuggle bug.

‘I don’t want to give him up.

I don’t want to let go.’

I’ve heard it said-

“A daughter is yours for life;

A son until he takes a wife.”

Is that what you were feeling?

‘I know he’s not leaving;

I can still see him.

But his joy will come from his new love,

His precious one.

When he falls down, she’ll be there.

When he cries it will be on her shoulder.

His house, his heart are now hers.

Oh, my little boy!’

You danced this dance with your son.

I cried, cried until I thought my heart would break.

I cried over my sons,

My precious little gems

Whose love I revel in each day.

I am their light, I soothe them.

Their tears are mine, I cry with them.

Their joys are mine, I laugh with them.

Their frustrations, I feel them too.

Every hour of every day, I’m there.

You helped me to see

How precious this time is, to be-

Love my sons, every minute;

How soon they pass.

What will I feel when they are no longer mine to hold,

To comfort, to soothe,

To wipe their little noses, see every little joy?

Thank you for showing your feelings,

For letting your son know,

Although I don’t know if he understands.

But he will.

Thank you for showing you love.

I needed that. To know the hope

That they do grow up, into wonderful young men.

They can succeed. Despite my faults.

Thank you for being vulnerable

As all mothers are.

Just as you held him as a child,

He held you one last time;

Feeling your sorrow,

Holding you close,

Wiping your tears,

Comforting you.

He’s your sweet one,

Your joy,

Your pride.

He’s your son.


January26,2007

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment...let me know what you think!